- Determine the agenda of your research:
As the areas of academic research are limitlessand their scope is wide, you must, first of all, clarify your objective of research. This calls for theneed to know why you want to go ahead with the research tasks. Certainly, you seek specialization in a subject/theme of academic value. Clarity of mind vis-à-vis theme and inherent difficulties that erupt is a first major step or tool towards carrying on the endeavor successfully.
- Know the basics of research: Academic research is no ordinary job. It is an in-depth and conclusiveexploration of a subject. It must encompass accuracy in terms of language (grammar, style, tone, facts,argumentation, etc.) The researcher must know whether or not he or she is capable of fulfilling thetask satisfactorily and how problems can be dealt with. In this respect, it is mandatory to pay heed to Stephen Covey’s dictum: ‘’Begin with the end in mind.’’
A comprehensive plan comes first and the necessary tools follow.
- Search out if anyone has already done research in the area you are interested in: This is a first-hand tool to render academic research easy. While consulting such a source, make sure the material you get is reliable, i.e., it has got favorable reviews by noteworthy academics. Then analyze it and findout what is in it that is relevant to your purpose or is missing. Remember that you do not consult any material for plagiarism!
- Use the Internet proficiently and productively: Indeed, no important academic task can be accomplished without the necessary aid of Internet use. You should pinpoint whatthe main websites are that contain the information you are seeking. Surf the Internet extensively, benefit by encyclopedias, etc. Simultaneously be aware that not all the information there is can be correct. Differentiating between accurate and inaccuratematerial is a time taking work. Do not evade it.
- Consult academic research journals: Anything that helps in academic research must be searched andfound out. Besides capitalizing on the Internet, you must read local as well as international journalscomposed by scholars of note.
- Be a regular library visitor: Libraries are the richest source or tool for conducting academic research.Be it a public or university library, it contains an array of books that will in one way or another assist in doing academic research.
- Meet important people, conduct interviews if necessary: People, especially professors, journalists, authors, are another source to consult with if the academic research demands. The researcher should do sufficient homework about what questions to ask the experts.
- Be persistent: All the tools for carrying on academic research will prove fruitless if you lack consistency.Tedious work as the research is, you must devote yourself completely to attain it. As a matter of fact, the task under consideration becomes achievable if you struggle seriously for its completion.